The time of the year where Black people celebrate our heritage and our ancestors’ triumph is finally here. Black History Month has arrived, and this is the perfect time for African American people to educate themselves and learn about other historical normal events that have occurred throughout history that has not made it on the movie screen or in TIME magazine.
The perfect way of that happening is by reading a book. Here are the top fifteen must read novels for the month of February for black students.
1.Octavia Butler’s Kindred
- Ann Petry’s The Street
- Richard Wright’s Black Boy
- Ernest J Gaines’ A Lesson Before Dying
- Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye
- Natalie Baszile’s Queen Sugar
- Toni Morrison’s God Help the Child
- Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me
- Margo Jefferson’s Negroland
- Matt Johnsons’ Loving Day
- Sister Souljah’s A Moment of Silence
- Paul Beatty’s The Sellout
- Dolen Perkins-Valdez’s Balm
- Damon Tweedy’s Black Man In A White Coat
- Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man
Books are the keys to success and these books will help you get in touch with inner black side this month. Do not get overwhelmed; research the books yourselves. However, each book has a different story, and you never know one story may be the reflection of your story in life.